In order to start producing my larger work in Clay I needed a template first, I scaled it up previously by drawing larger lines around the original (shown in Foam work-previous post), but this didn’t work very well- it suddenly came to me to try and use a projector! I placed the paper on the screen and adjusted the size, then drew round of the projected shadow.
Doing this activity also made me think I could use a Projector in order to display some of my smaller works!
The images of this are shown below:
Finished drawn line
Cut out plus scale
Cutting up for kiln
Once the template was made I then had to measure the inside of our Kiln at the University and cut the stencil down accordingly. Then came the clay work:
Drawing round stencil
cling filmed work
Marking on the side
Drying out on the shelf
Each section took a while to make as it’s hard to roll large slabs of clay out by hand. On the side of each I marked a number and an arrow to show me which section is which and which way up each one goes. To make each of the holes I pushed a small circular tool into both sides of the clay and then made each one look more presentable using a paint brush and clay slip. Once I had waited for each piece to dry out a bit this happened to my largest section:
close up crack
This crack most likely happened due to the size of the work, as the Buff Clay dries out it shrinks. I didn’t fix this large crack as I ran out of time for this project and to fix such a large crack in slab Clay would be very difficult.
Now I have finished scaling up the work, I’m currently waiting for the last piece to be fired. I will then put each tile together using metal wire and Pliers,for now here are all the pieces so far laid together.
Two pieces broke off of two sections that had been fired. I just glued them back together as I do not intend to glaze this piece of work. Two sections also broke off from the large section that’s still drying out before it can be fired. I will have to fire the three separate pieces and glue them back together afterwards. It’s also interesting to see how much more the larger piece has warped in comparison to the smaller sections. A lucky tip for next time I scale up.
Once the final section has been fired I will join them all together. Please stay posted.
Hello all, to start off with here are the fired pieces of work from my last set of experimentation:
Now that each piece is fired I can take the joint testing works and put them together, as shown:
Wiring the holes
the joined piece
Looped piece with sticks
After putting these pieces together I have realised that I really like using the holes and wire; the duality of two materials works really well in my opinion and the gaps in between bring another angle into this work. I think the sticks and loops haven’t worked very well, the pieces aren’t joined rigidly enough.
I also started making another joint testing piece using holes in the width and pegs to place into the holes, as shown:
Once I made this I then waited for it to dry out and be fired. Here is the fired version:
trying to join them
rolled paper pin
I feel that the shrinkage between tiles for this tester wasn’t too bad, however all of the holes poked in the sides were slightly different shapes and sizes due to shrinkage. I tried to make ‘pins’ to fit into each hole by rolling up small lengths of paper and wedging them into each set of holes. However the paper wasn’t a strong enough medium to hold the weight of both tiles. Therefore, at least for now I will dismiss this method of joining as it’s too difficult to make ‘pins’ that fit and hold the tiles.
Next I wanted to figure out roughly what shape and size I want my scaled up piece to be so I made two foam templates to have a play with the size and form. I did this by sewing a length of metal wire into the base of the foam and bending it loosely into different shapes. The pictures of this experimentation are shown below:
I decided that I like the larger sized cut out and I like form 5 the most which resembles a zigzag shape. I decided to try and make this shape as it will be easier to make than a curved piece as I can make each section flat but introduce the zigzag shape by the way I join each tile with the metal wire.
From here I will start making this larger piece of work.
The Clay pieces I made from Buff Clay in myfirst post have been fired! Here they are:
Separate hands (to be hung)
The images shown below are of the blended hand that has finally been fired, although it had cracked considerably. I have learned that I should have removed some of the clay from the center of each layer so it could have dried out more easily and therefore would have fired properly- although I like the way it looks cracked.
upper cracked layer